Herbal Medicines For Diabetes
By Ajeet Gautam
Over the ages, herbal medicines have been proven to treat diabetes and have numerous other uses in modern times.
Insulin rich substances are found in a number of plants and other species. What follows is a short yet descriptive review of various plants rich in diabetes substances and the process that of interaction in order to better understand it.
Remember that individual persons have different health related issues and constitution, so is true with how herbs, medication and other elements interact. If you are planning to take the alternative herbal medication, you are advised to seek the opinion from medical authorities specifically those with competent knowledge about these.
Among the many herbal alternatives, here's a review of some few:
1. European blueberry (Vaccinium Myrtillus) This is also known as bilberry. You may take 2-3 handful of leaves of this plant, soak in four cups of hot water for an hour. The leaves of this plant are known to be rich in natural sugar lowering action as stressed by traditional herbal medicine. Three cups of the concoction everyday will help you see result fast. Lately, it has been learned that berries or their extract bring more benefit to our health.
2. American Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Both animals and human studies conducted in 1985 have shown that this plant is rich in saponin that has shown hypoglycemic effect and increases the production of insulin. A separate study also shows American Ginseng to have successfully prevented type II diabetes blood sugar level from elevating.
3. Bitter Melon (Momordia Charantia) a study conducted in 2003 which was published in Americal Journal of Health-System Pharmacy showed hypoglycemic effect of this plant and is said to be more potent compared to Tolbutamide, a well known hypoglycemic drug. This is because of the active ingredient called charantin. Commonly found in India, Philippines, Malaysia and Australia, this herb can be served in various forms: sautéed, steamed or salad. Added to that, its juice, tea and dried herb are proven effective in maintaining blood sugar level.
4. Gynmena (Gymnema Sylvestre) The tropical forest of India is rich with this plant, it is proven effective in the reduction of glucose in the blood and aid restore pancreatic cell damage. The leaves of these plants are known to effectively increase blood insulin levels. Potential extract preparation may contain 300 mg of this herb's active ingredient, the charantin.
5. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) Some tests have shown that this heb brings more benefit to animal and human types of diabetes and recorded to have anti-diabetic effects. The 15 g of powdered fenugreek seed, soaked in water have considerably reduced the level of after meal blood glucose and has proven its lipid lowering action. It is also potential to lower insulin resistance and improves lowering of blood sugar in type II diabetes.
6. Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia Speciosa) According to tradition, this herb is used to treat diabetes in Asia, and have shown very promising results. However, there is a need for further studies in order to establish its safety and efficacy for long term use.
7. Holy Basil ( Ocimum Sanctum) This herb has significantly demonstrated 17.6% decrease in blood glucose, lower blood levels, cholesterol and triglycerides, studies revealed. This led to the conclusion that Holy Basil is proven potential remedy for mild to moderate diabetes. What is more about this herb is, it is simply and often served in the form of tea.
We have just named some of the most popular herbs that have proven effective in lowering blood sugar. Other herbs such aloe vera, psillium, cinnamon, garlic, Asian ginseng and salt bunch may also have the capacity to reduce blood glucose and other diabetes related disease.
The various discoveries of herbal alternatives is something to be happy about yet it is still important to seek the guidance of medical experts especially when using pharmaceutical products because they may have ill effects. It is also equally important to consider taking in of healthy food, regular exercise in our goal of attaining a healthy sugar levels.
Visit http://www.herbalhealthhealing.com for all your alternative medicines needs.